Bruhin Software is a freelancing company founded by Florian Bruhin and located near Rapperswil, Switzerland.
I’m deeply involved in various open-source software projects. However, I’m pragmatic about it: I always believe in using the right tool for the job and the given circumstances.
Consulting, Training and Development
I’m an experienced software developer. My main focus is on consulting and trainings for the following technologies:
- Python (since 2011 – Python basics, advanced Python features, many other topics)
- Graphical user interfaces with PyQt and PySide / Qt for Python (since 2013)
- Testing with pytest (since 2015)
Due to my expertise with Python, PyQt/PySide and pytest I’ve seen and experienced a lot of different use-cases and issues around those technologies. I’d be happy to help you getting started, helping you out if you’re stuck or help you follow best practices!
I’ve given trainings about various topics around Python and pytest at conferences and in companies – both as a trainer for Python Academy as well as independently.
Part-time, I’m working as a lecturer at the Eastern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences (OST Rapperswil, formerly HSR), teaching Python to first-semester students, while also being the main responsible person for the course. Before that, I was a research assistant for the Operating Systems course.
- qutebrowser: Keyboard-focused web browser using Python and Qt (funded based on donations)
- pytest: Python test framework; as well as various plugins like pytest-qt (Maintainer)
- fstring.help: Guide to Python f-strings
- vscode-python-tox: tox plugin for VS Code
- herbstluftwm: Window manager, C/C++ (Contributor)
- Many smaller projects such as cloclify (CLI for the Clockify time tracking service), journalwatch (log parsing/notification utility for the systemd journal), sshtunnel (managing of SSH tunnels via systemd) and a lot more.
Public Talks and Trainings
Trainings for pytest
- Upcoming: Europython, July 11th (3h), Dublin, Ireland
- Upcoming: CH Open Workshoptage, September 8th, Bern, Switzerland
- Upcoming: Professional Testing with Python (3-day in-depth training), March 7th to 9th 2023, via Python Academy, English, Leipzig (Germany) and remote
- 3h/4h trainings: Europython 2015/2016/2019, PyConDE 2022 (Recording), PyConIT 2022
- 1.5h training: PyConDE 2019 (Recording), Europython 2021
- 1 day training (German): CH Open Workshoptage 2020/2021, enterPy 2021 (twice)
- In-house at various companies in different formats (1 to 3 days), independently and via Python Academy
Talks about pytest
- 2016: pytest - Simple, rapid and fun testing with Python (20min), Swiss Python Summit
- 2019: Testing PySide/PyQt code easily using the pytest framework (30min), Qt World Summit - Slides, recording
- 2020: pytest Webinar (1h, German), via myLearning - Demos and recording
- 2021: Professionelles Testen für Python mit pytest (45min, German), enterPy - Slides, recording
- 2021: pytest: Simple, rapid and fun testing with Python (45min), WeAreDevelopers World Congress - Slides, recording (@ 4:22:32)
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s up with the bear paw in the logo?
As the legal form of Bruhin Software is a sole proprietorship business (“Einzelfirma”), it needs to contain my last name, Bruhin. The family coat of arms for Bruhin often contains a bear paw. The logo consists of such a paw symbolizing Bruhin and the “<>"-symbols standing for code/software.
I want to contact you because of a domain name
There is a “Florian Bruhin” from Baar who owns various .ch domain names since around 1996/1997 without them being in use - this is not me.
Mail / Chat
- Mail: email@example.com
GPG: 916E B0C8 FD55 A072 / the_compiler on keybase
- Telegram: @thecompiler
- Twitter: @the_compiler
- Threema: 5BK3KNPS
- IRC: The-Compiler on Libera Chat
Please note that I strongly prefer email and my phone is often on “do not disturb”. I’ll usually call back unless I suspect a telemarketing call.
8630 Rüti ZH